|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Description||Quite faded sepia tone bust photograph; man has on a black collared suit; white shirt and softly folded black tie.|
|Number of images||2|
|Collection||Industrialist - Rentchler, Henry|
Per Liz Ross, researcher of the Rentchler Family, the senior Henry Rentchler also had the middle initial L
Parents: Jacob (1799-1853) and Elizabeth Baker Rentchler. Emigrated from Pennsylvania to Illinois 1837-38. Settled on farm 6 miles east of Belleville
Variations on spelling family name: Reutchler, Reutshler
1850 Census Index, Vol 1, p 69 - Jacob and Elizabeth listed with 9 children.
Jacob Baker, their eldest born 1828, married Jane (Mary Jane) Beach 1855.
Daughter, Anna, md Belleville industrialist, George B. M. Rogers 12/1/1885
1881 History of St. Clair County, published by Brink-McDonnough, p 195 and 357 (or 337?):
1853 Jacob Rentchler began the manufacture of grain drills. Purchased
rights to manufacture the Pennock Grail Drill. This was the first manufactory of this kind west of the Allegheny Mountains.
For news article re the Pennock Drill see E. R. Stuart's comments in the Belleville Weekly Advocate in 1858 - June 5, page 2 and page 3, and Belleville Weekly Democrat June 19, 1858, page 2
1860 Belleville City Directory (only Rentchler listing in dir): JB Rentchler, manufacturer of agricultural implements, residence: NW Corner 2nd N (East B) & Green St.
1868 Belleville City Directory: JB Rentchler, Agricultural implements, Rentchler House, residence: corner N. 1st (East A) & Church St. (27 N. Church)
Rentchler House: south side Main between High & Jackson (see 1874 Atlas of St. Clair County, p 15, for sketch)
1892 Portrait & Biographical Record of St. Clair County, p 560-1: Rentchler
Building built by Peter Stauder in 1863.
1874 Atlas of St. Clair County, p 34: Rentchler Station sketched; located in
TN1NR7W (this township adjoins Belleville)
Advocate newspaper 1/16/1862 - Jacob B. Rentchler succeeds W. P. Penn in agriculture warehouse business. (located on E. Main St., S. side)
Democrat newspaper 2/18/1864 - Mrs. Buchanan sells lot on Main St. to JB
Rentchler for $5,000 to be used for rear entrance to Agrilcultural Machine Depot.
Note: Included in the 1868 Belleville City Directory are the following Rentchler listings:
D&H Rentchler, agricultural implements, foot 2nd N (East B) east of Oak.
D (Daniel of D&H Rentchler) res foot 2nd N east of Oak
H (Henry " " "
Daniel (1838-1893) and Henry (1840-1886) were JB's brothers and on the basis of this directory information, they operated the implement company while JB operated the store and warehouse on E. Main St.
Daniel Rentchler was an inventor of other items besides agricultural equipment.
Prior to receiving patent # 113,564 in 1871 for an improvement to the grain drill,
he patented an office registry and directory device in 1870, and a press in 1863.
Also in 1863, Charles W. S. Heaton of Belleville assigned three farm implement patents to the Rentchlers -- two cultivator improvements and a corn planter.
Henry Rentchler md. Eva J. Baker at Belleville 12/12/1865. He died 1886.
Daniel Rentchler left Belleville in 1878 after breaking his leg in two places.
He retired to the family farm at Rentchler Station. See 1892 Portrait and Biographical Record of St. Clair County, p 594.
Advocate newspaper 11/22/1878 - James W. Rentchler, a nephew of Henry and Daniel, assumed Daniel Rentchler's position in the grain drill mfg. business.
1877 Belleville City Street Directory: (numerous listings)
Rentchler, D&H (Daniel & Henry) mnfrs. Rentchler's IXL force-feed grain drill,
e end 2nd N (East B St - future site of Marsh Stencil). Daniel, James W (asst bkpr) and John D (bkpr) also resided at the e end of 2nd N.