|Object Name||print, photographic|
|Description||Color snapshot of the Sherwood - Heaton Tombstone|
|Number of images||1|
|Collection||Heaton, Charles W. S. Tombstone|
Heaton, Charles W. (r)
Heaton, Amy, nee Robertson (wife) (l)
born 3/31/1835 Inventor/Manufacturer
Photo of Heathen/Sherwood Tombstone at Sunset Hill Cemetery, Guilford, NY.
From Tom Gray, Guilford Town Historian 7/6/2005 - 2000.001.0046A. Also included are e-mails between Tom Gray and Judy Belleville
Married Amy Robertson 3/31/1860, St. Clair County, Illinois and patentee while living in Belleville, IL
Charles Heaton does not appear in any census records for St. Clair County, IL
Belleville Democrat Newspaper, 1/31/1863: Charles Heaton obtains a patent for the improvement of cultivators.
Belleville Democrat Newspaper, 5/17/1863: Charles W. S. Heaton and Henry Rentchler receive a patent for a cultivator.
Belleville Democrat Newspaper, 5/16/1863: Charles Heaton receives a patent on armor cladding for ships
St. Clair County Marriage Records: Charles W. Heaton md Amy Robertson 3/31/1860
NOTE: See US Patents for 1863 - Charles W. S. Heaton of Salem, IL assigned a cultivator patent to Henry Rentchler and Jabez Piggott of Belleville IL 8/11/1863. Charles Heaton held numerous agricultural patents plus patents for the armour cladding of ships. He assigned his agricultural patents but retained the patents on armour cladding.
Democrat Newspaper 4/30/1864: Charles Heaton sued US Government for using his armour cladding patents without permission. Wins verdict of $95,000.
Democrat Newspaper 5/7/1865: Invention of armour plate for battleships. Heaton's patent drawings illustrated.
Following from Tom Gray, Guilford Town Historian, Guilford, NY 13780:
See file for complete information
Mr. Gray is researching the Heaton family, specifically Charles W. S. Heaton born 3/31/1835 in England to Reverend. George and Jane Heaton. The Reverend and his family (Charles was one of 10 children) lived in Guilford from 1870-1972 and he was a minister of Christ Episcopal Church. Two of the children who are buried with Charles at Guilford are Martin and Alice (Md John Sherwood, a druggist in Guilford).
Charles came to Guilford ca 1880 trying to start a factory for the production of emery wheels. A factory was built in 1883. Eventually Charles ended up in NYC where he died 11/9/1906, penniless. His sister, Alice brought his body back to Guilford (gravestone photo in file) Obituary from the NY Times also on file.