|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Description||Sepia tone photo of a man dressed in a three piece dark suit, white shirt and bow tie. The lapels of the jacket are very wide. The vest and tie are darker in color than the jacket. The man has a receding hairline and a full beard. Hair is dark and rather curly.|
|Number of images||2|
|Photographer||Neff's Premium Gallery, Belleville, IL|
|Title||Stuart, William H. (2 photos)|
|Collection||Quarry, Stone - Stuart, William H.|
Stuart, William H.
1813- Pioneer family, marble dealer, druggist
Parents: Rachel and Alphonso Stuart - emigrated from Pennsylvania 1816.
Attorney Stuart killed in the notorious Stuart-Bennet Duel at Belleville 2/1819.
See 1881 History of St. Clair County, pub by Brink-McDonnough, p 90 and "Old Settlers Reunions 1883-1889" 929.377389TU at Belleville Public Library.
Chicago Title and Insurance Co. - Grantor-Grantee Indexes:
Edward R and William H Stuart laid out Stuarts 4th Addition to the City of Belleville May 17, 1852
Other Additions: Stuart & Phillips Addition laid out 1872
Advocate newspaper 8/5/1864: Stuart Brothers sold a public school site - on the block between Abend and Charles Sts at E. Garfield St.
Democrat newspaper 12/23/1865 - Alphonzo Stuart purchased William H. Phillips farm of 112 acres in 1816.
1860 St. Clair County Census Index, p 229: William 47 PA, Sarah B 31 KY,
Anna M 14 MO; Alfonzo W 11 KY; Shepart C 8 IL, Henry 1 IL
1860 Belleville City Street Directory lists W. H. Stuart, marble dealer, no res AND
William H. Stuart, drugs and medicines, NE corner Main and High; res: High between 1st and 2nd N (East A and East B Sts) Edward R. Stuart, publisher
1868 Belleville city Street Directory: William H., (Stuart & Rich) ins agents, Rentchler House,
res: Corner High and N 1st.
NOTE: Brother, Edward (listed as a Printer), & Alphonso, (William's 17 year old son - no occupation) also at NW Corner High and N. 1st.
Advocate newspaper 6/8/1859 - William H. Stuart purchases res of J. W. Pulliam at 1st N and High Sts.
Advocate newspaper 10/1/1869 - William H. Stuart sells res at 1st N and High Sts. to Dr. A. Berchelmann $7,000. (NOTE: in 1873 sold to J. Thomas)
1869 - 513 East B St. sold to W. H. Stuart (see Chicago Title Records)
1877 Belleville City Street Directory: William H. (Stuart & Peck) res north side 1st S (E. Washington) east of Charles
Stuart & Peck Druggists (Andrew J. Peck) northeast corner Main & High
Henry Stuart boards with W. H. Stuart
BUSINESS VENTURES - WM H. STUART
Weekly Advocate 6/9/1858, page 3: "SODA" -- The late beautiful weather reminds us that Henry Stuart is dispensing a splendid article of soda to the thirsty at his drug store. Come, all ye that are weary and thirsty, and take a "nipper" at Stuart's. We know him to be a gentleman of the right stripe, therefore will consider ourself invited over to take a glass now and then"
Advocate newspaper 12/14/1859 - William H. Stuart purchases marble bus of A.V. Vaughn NOTE: Check 1860 directory for location of marble bus of Vaughn.
Advocate newspaper 6/24/1875 - William H. Stuart with Mr. Peck succeeds L.P. Stookey and Dr. T. B. Moore in drug business
Advocate newspaper 3-5-1880 - William H. Stuart moves permanently to O'Fallon
NOTE: "Historic Preservation", the magazine of the National Trust Magazine 3/4, 1987 carries a story "The Stone Cutter's Art". Magazine in file with Stuarts photo.
NOTE: O. C. Bates son-in-law of William H. Stuart