Ink drawing of a two story residence. Building has two chimneys in the roof and two porches at the front: One at the center of the first floor and one at the center of the second floor. Both have railings. Porches are flanked by two windows on each floor making a combination of eight windows.
This sketch could possibly have been taken from a larger map or montage of buildings.
|Number of images||1|
|Title||Kinney, William C.residence|
|Collection||Architecture - Kinney, William C|
Home of Lt. Gov William Kinney - see 2008.008.0003B for a map of location.
William C. Kinney bio data can be found in the St. Clair County Historical Society 1971 Journal "The Romance of Beautiful Glen Addie by Virginia Blair, p 26-44
Regarding the farm and mansion known as "Glen Addie" on Section 12 TN1NR8W of St. Clair County: Northeast Quarter of Section 12 was owned by William Biggs 8/15/1815. On 8/24/1814 160 acres in the SE Quarter of Section 12 a "Certificate of Entry was made to William Kinney from the government.
At age 19 Kinney was married and lived on his homestead farm in Section 12. In 1814 he built a log house to the back of the lot. It had a wooden chimney, no ceiling or windows and a puncheon floor and a door of clapboard.
Kinney learned to read and write, he farms and merchandised successfully - became a Baptist preacher and a politician. Elected Lt. Gov of the State of Illinois 1826 and 1830.
On August 24, 1824 William Kinney acquired the farm of William Biggs through a foreclosure and tax lien. Later he acquired all of Section 12. In 1842, he willed his land to son, William C. Kinney. William C. Kinney married Mary Felicite Kane, the daughter of Elias Kent Kane.
More bio info on both Kinney's in the article.
In 1859 the entire Section 12 became the property of "Don" Morrison. Who was James Lowery Donaldson Morrison? Morrison built the pre civil war mansion known as Glen Addie named after his wife Adele Sarpy of St. Louis whom he married 4/9/1861.
EXHIBIT MATERIAL: William C. Kinney, First Illinois Adjutant General from Belleville. Written by Robert Brunkow, 9/21/2007