|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Sepia tone photograph of an elderly bearded man seated on a kitchen chair. He is outside in front of a clapboard wall. A black and white medium size dog is laying by the chair. Man has on a dark brimmed hat and a dark jacket, medium colored pants, and a light colored collared shirt.
His shoes look sturdy.
Photo on its original backboard.
|Number of images||1|
|Collection||Coal - Stanley, Zachariah|
Stanley family in St. Clair County by 1824
1850 St. Clair County Census Index: Elizabeth 61, SC; John 63, NC; Sophia 22, ST; Zachariah 26 ST (St. Clair County)
Also in the census is James Stanley 28 ST who md Charity Ann Hawkins 27, OH
St. Clair County Marriage Index, Belleville Public Library:
Sophia Stanley md James Phillips
James Stanley md Charity Ann Hawkins 11/1/1849
Zachariah md Eliza Powell 3/10/1870
Advocate newspaper 11/21/1874 - Zachary Stanley sells 80 acre farm on which he has lived since 50 years ago to E. Hazard Wilson & Co. for $21,000.
Note: Zachariah worked for Wilson Co.
The Stanley family travelled from New York, to Pennsylvania, to South Carolina, North Carolina and finally to Illinois. John and Elizabeth Stanley purchased land at Belleville west end's Ogle Station. By 1824 Brother Stanley was hosting Methodist Church sessions and Stanley women had married into the Ogle and Phillips pioneer families. Richard Stanley served in the Civil War, learned the nailing trade, and returned to Illinois. His first nail mill was at Ogles and, as many farmers did, he mined coal for fuel.
In 1874 Zachariah Stanley sold the farm he had lived on for more than 50 years to the Hazard/Wilson Mining Co. Richard Stanley moved his nail enterprise to the Gundlach Works on N. Illinois and then to a rapidly developing industrial area on East B St. - the Oakland Addition of Belleville in 1897. (see file)