|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Description||Black and white portrait of a man in a dark jacket and white shirt. He has dark hair parted at the left and cut short above the ears. He also has a goatee. He is not smiling.|
|Number of images||1|
|Collection||Blacksmith - Maurer, Jacob|
1814-1875 blacksmith, owned iron store at SW cor Main & Charles
1874 Atlas of St. Clair County
p 186 Jacob Maurer a blacksmith in 1820.
p 75 Jacob Maurer was an agent for the Belleville Nail Works and the Champion
Reaper; also dealt in hardware, iron and steel; bus located on Main St.
p 1881 History of St. Clair County, pub by Brink & McDonnough, p 188:
Jacob Maurer here (in Belleville) with Conrad Bornman; Only two German families here in 1828.
Advocate newspaper 12/19/1850: Jacob Maurer one of 49rs.
Advocate newspaper 1/2/1852: Jacob Maurer opens lumber yard on Main St.
Advocate newspaper 9/26/1855: Jacob Maurer laying foundation for new
three story stone building at Main and Charles Sts.
Times newspaper 10/18/56: Jacob Maurer opens sligo & tyrone iron store; handles building iron, cutlery and tools.
Democrat newspaper 1/6/1866 Jacob Maurer retires from hardware store.
Stoltz, Frierdich (??Friederick) & Co. new proprietors.
Advocate newspaper 4/9/1875 Jacob Maurer, old and esteemed citizen dies.
Advocate newspaper 12/7/1852 Jacob Maurer md Eva Lippert.
Democrat newspaper 7/29/1869 Wife dies of paralysis.
St. Clair County Marriage Index at Belleville Public Library records that
Jacob Maurer md Margaret Bookl (Boul??) June 14, 1870.
1860 Belleville City Directory: Jacob, res Jackson between 7th and 8th S, merchant
J. Maurer & Co., hardware, SW corner Main and Charles
1868 Belleville City Directory: Jacob, res Corner S. Jackson and 7th (now E. McKinley St.)
1877 Belleville City Directory: Maggie, Mrs., res NE Corner Jackson & 7th S.
Advocate newspaper 2/7/1890: Mrs. Margaretha (nee Boult) dies age 52 years.
Sebastian Fietsam Abstract on file at Labor and Industry Museum Learning Center indicates in 1876 a suit was filed re the distribution/sale of Jacob Maurer's property in Meyers 2nd Addition to the City of Belleville. The suit was brought by Margaretha Meyer, widow, against defendant Bernhardina Stolz (daughter of Jacob and Eva Meyer).
Also on file in the learning center is an Wolleson-Wolf Abstract for Mr. U. H. Sikkema re Lot # 108 and South 1/2 lot 107 of Meyer's Second Addition to the Town of Belleville.
NOTE: 618 S. Jackson St. (NE corner Jackson & E. McKinley Sts).
1884 Belleville City Street Directory: Sikkema, W H ins. agent, office SE corner Main and High Sts., upstairs (WH is Ulrich H - see 1891 City Dir)
res NE corner Jackson and 7th South
Exhibit material: Jacob Maurer, Blacksmith
Jacob Maurer 1814-1875 was a blacksmith and, along with Conrad Bornman, were the only German families in Belleville in 1828 (See 1881 History of St. Clair County by McDonnough, p 188).
Maurer was also a dealer in building iron, steel, tools and cutlery. In 1855, he opened a Sligo and Tyrone Iron Store in his new three story building at Main & Charles St. This crate and a few tools were found in Maurer's building prior to demolition. His products were crated in wood and hand labeled prior to shipment.