|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Sepia tone photograph of a man in a two piece dark suit with wide lapels. His shirt is white and he has a loosely folded wide bow tie at the neck. Man is wearing a strap across his shoulder that is visible across his chest. It appears to be dark leather about 1" wide. Man has a full head of dark hair which is wavy to curly and is full at the ears. He is not smiling.
4" x 6" sepia tone photograph also in file.
|Number of images||1|
|Collection||Agriculture - Harrison Machine Works - Harrison, Theopolis|
1831-1908 Inventor, Manufacturer
Parents: James H. 1805- ??(died 1886 - See Advocate 10/15/1886-- could this be correct? the 1868 Belleville City Dir shows Mrs. L (widow) ss Main west of Race) and Lucinda, nee Gooding, 1806- ; md 11/13/1824 (Lucinda is in the 1850 and 1860 St. Clair County Census records without James)
Children: Thomas O (1827-1863), Cornelius Gooding (became a banker in San Jose, CA), M. Olive (Md F. H. Pieper in 1859), Mrs. L. P, Kraft, Mary (Mrs Augustus Parkinson of San Jose, CA) and Theopolis. See Advocate newspaper 10/15/1886
St. Clair County Marriages: Theopolis Harrison md Mary Ellen Thompson of
Belleville May 13, 1856. Children: Cornelius Gooding, M. Olive (1838-1919),
Lena (1842-1922), Mary J., Thomas Oglesby (1827-1863) see Theopolis Harrison's obituary in Advocate newspaper 10/15/1886 and obits of the children at the Belleville Public Library newspaper files.
1860 Belleville City Street Directory: (more listings)
Harrison Mill Co, NS Main below Race (now Third St.)
T.O. (Thomas Oglesby) and T. A. (Thomas Asbury) Harrison & Co., SS Main
between Race and Gas Works
Thomas (no occupation) SE Corner 1st South and High Sts.
Theo Harrison with FM Middlecoff & Co., manufacturer, SS 3rd S. (now Harrison) and City Limits.
Note: James H. was the son of Reverend Thomas H. Harrison a Scotch/Irish
Methodist/Episcopalian Preacher born 1779. He died in 1867. See 1881 History of St. Clair County, pub by Brink-McDonnough, p 258
Also see Alvin Nebelsick's History of Belleville, p 253
1860 St. Clair County Census (more listings)
Theo 29, Mary E 25, Lucinda A 4, Eugene A 1 (all born in Illinois)
1868 Belleville City Street Directory: (more listings)
Harrison T (T Harrison & Co.) res ss Main near Breese (flour mill)
Harrison T & Co., agricultural implements, 3rd South corner Race
Mrs. E. J. (wid) res High between S 2st and S 2nd
Mrs. L (wid) res SS Main St. west of Race
NORTHWESTERN MILLER (a trade journal published in Minneapolis, MN)
1/25/1895 "The Harrison family operated the first steam flour mill in the
State of Illinois - 1830. Thomas Harrison & Sons Mill, 1st South & High Sts.
Advocate newspaper 6/13/1862 - Thomas Harrison bought the mill of Wilkinson & Ringold flour ox mill (1810) in 1826 and converted it to steam. Located at the west end of Main St. Mill gave start to city.
Advocate newspaper 4/17/1896 - Harrison Mill second flour mill in State of IL.
1877 Belleville City Directory (more listings)
Harrison Mills, B. F. Switzer & Co., proprietors, NS W. Main, West of Breese
Harrison, Theophilus (Harrison & Co) res Georgetown Plank Road 1 mile s of
city limits (Freiburg Road)
Harrison & Co. (Theophilus Harrison, William C. Buchanan, Cyrus Thompson &
Hugh W. Harrison) manufacturers of engines, threshers, horsepowers, etc.
NW corner 3rd S and Race
Advocate newspaper 10/19/1888 - Theopolis Harrison moves with family to Colorado Springs, CO. Retains connection with Harrison Machine Works of Belleville.
NOTE: Record includes a facsimile copy (undated) of a newspaper article re the marriage of Harrison's daughter, Josie to Mr. Frank M. Halliday of St. Louis, MO.
In 1874 Theopolis Harrison and Wm. Buchanan had completed their first steam engine which they proudly paraded through the streets of Belleville, followed by Harrison & Co. employees. Ten years later, Harrison Machine Works had the capacity to build 6 engines and 18 threshers (later called separators) per week. Pictured at the right is the expanded plant located behind St. Elizabeth Hospital. HMW acreage extended south and west to Richland Creek and the address was West End West 3rd St.